How to Pack A Suitcase Properly
When planning your next trip (business or leisure), packing may be one of the last things you think of. Then, suddenly you find yourself in a rush to pack. Next, you are away and wishing you had brought this – and had forgotten that. We are here to help you breakdown exactly how to pack a suitcase properly. By using a few (or all) of the tips below, you will find navigating your next adventure that much easier.
- Choose the proper luggage for trip. Take into consideration the length of your stay and mode of transportation.
- Check your destination’s weather forecast as the date comes closer.
- Review your itinerary so you will have the appropriate attire. Long travel time? Excursions? Beach/pool days? Night(s) out?
- Create an itemized checklist for your toiletries, wardrobe and accessories.
- ‘Pack’ outside of your bag by pulling all the items on your list.
- Take along with you double-duty pieces such as sarongs, yoga pants and camisoles.
- Roll clothing such as jeans, tees and cotton pants.
- Place the larger, heavier items at the bottom of your suitcase.
- Toiletries in Ziploc bags, belts and socks can be stuffed in shoes and other small spaces.
- Anything fragile should be placed in the middle.
- Formal, dressier clothing should be folded and packed on top.
If possible, try to wear your bulkier clothing there and back; this will give you more space within your suitcase. Also, do your best to choose lightweight layers; they take up less space, but you can also ‘build’ with them. Neutral basics are a great place to start – and then add a few bolder choices.