How often should you wash your bedding?
There is nothing better than fresh clean linens. The frequency with which we wash our sheets, pillowcases, duvet covers, and mattress protectors plays a pivotal role in maintaining not just cleanliness but also our overall well-being.
Luxury Bed Linens
When it comes to bedding, you should invest in quality bed linens. Common thread counts are around 200 to 400; this level of thread count is comfortable and cozy. However if you are looking for luxury, aim for 600 to 1000+; elevate your bedtime with the softest bed linens you’ve experienced.
Fortunately, there are so many different colors and designs to suit anyone’s unique taste. Many of our clients choose a classic Frette set with signature border, embroidered Yves Delorme, and other luxurious linens.
How Often Should You Wash Your Bedding
Whether you have invested in a high thread count or simply love your bedding, it is important to provide them the right level of care. Questions? Stop by either of our storefronts or give us a call today.
Why Machine Washing May Not Suffice
High-quality bed linens often have intricate weaves and delicate fibers; they contribute to the exceptional softness and comfort. It is this exact delicacy that makes them susceptible to damage in your home’s washing machine. Fine materials, such as high-thread-count cotton or linen, require specialized care to maintain their luxurious feel and appearance.
If you’ve attempted to wash your luxury bed linens at home, then you may have already experienced fading, wear, and tear. These are common pitfalls that we see time and time again. Aggressive detergents, home washing machine mechanics, and high temperatures can contribute or accelerate possible color fading, fabric thinning, pilling, and more. By compromising the fabric’s integrity, this diminishes the overall aesthetics and comfortability.
In the end, this will shorten your linen’s lifespan. Therefore, proper care is paramount in preserving the longevity of your investment.
Bedding Cleaning Guidelines
The suggested frequency guidelines vary for each bedding element. Sheets, pillowcases, and duvet covers have their own usage patterns. When determining cleaning patterns, consider the material type, frequency of use, and your own personal reference.
Before determining, keep in mind your personal preferences, allergies, and the manufacturer’s specific care recommendations (found on the care label). The Hallak team always recommends checking your care labels and guidelines to ensure proper maintenance of your bedding items. Each type of fabric has its own requirements so don’t any instructions found on a label.
Some suggested cleaning routines:
Silk and Cotton Sheets
- Wash every 1-2 weeks for regular use
- Tip: Rotate between two or more sets of sheets to extend each set’s lifetime. Also, it can be fun to change up patterns and/or colors.
Linen Duvet Covers:
- Dry clean every 3-4 months
- Tip: Air out in the sun occasionally to maintain freshness. If you suffer with allergies, you may wish to consider additional cleanings rather than airing outside.
- Dry clean once or twice a season
- Tip: When not using, store in a breathable garment storage unit or cedar closet. And always clean prior to any storage.
- Dry clean a few times per year (if used all year long)
- Tip: Use a duvet cover for added protection and wash the cover regularly.
- Machine wash or dry clean every 1-2 months
- Tip: Follow care instructions specific to the protector’s material especially when it comes to water temperature.
Decorative Throws and Shams:
- Dry clean every 3-6 months
- Tip: Carefully spot clean as needed to address spills or stains. For luxury pieces, leave spot cleaning to the experts at Hallak. Improper stain removal may result in discoloration, treatment area ring, and other trouble areas.
Memory Foam Pillows:
- Spot clean with a damp cloth as needed.
- Tip: Use pillow protectors that are machine washable. These protectors are pretty hardy and can be washed quite regularly.
Professional dry cleaners bring a level of expertise that preserves the linen quality found in luxury bedding. Our team understands the various types of fabrics and their unique care needs. We also use the most advanced cleaning techniques and bring a level of attention to detail.
Why Consider Dry Cleaning
There are several reasons you should consider professional care for your luxury linens.
- Safeguards and helps retain the original color’s intensity
- Protects against shrinkage and distortion
- Eliminates stubborn stains without compromising a fabric’s integrity
When linens arrive at Hallak, they receive a full inspection. Our team is trained to provide meticulous attention to intricate details such as delicate embroidery and other special finishes. Through a thorough inspection, every element of your luxury bed linen is guaranteed to be well-preserved, maintaining the original craftsmanship and aesthetic appeal.
Once inspected, we pre-treat stains, provide a full cleaning, and professional finishing. Linens are inspected several times throughout its journey – and then again right before being packaged.
Clean Bed Sheets and Your Allergies
Proper cleaning eliminates dust mites, dead skin cells, body oils and other outside factors. Sensitive skin has direct contact with your sheets so make sure they are clean sheets. Dirty sheets can cause skin irritation, asthma flare-ups, and other skin conditions.
People with allergies may opt for a frequent washing pattern. If so, we encourage you to invest in high-quality linens and follow care instructions. Regular cleaning equates to a good night’s rest in fresh sheets.
Ultimately, the time between washes is determined by your preferences and what time allows. What we have provided is a good rule of thumb. If you have questions, please feel free to speak with one of our customer care representatives. We also offer tailoring for your bedding!
Take the stress out of washing sheets. Schedule your free pick-up today.